Through her years of work with environmental non-governmental organisations in the Pacific Region, Nicola Thomson (ECF Senior Consultant) has developed a specialisation in independent evaluations of donor-funded projects.
She also provides a range of services relating to project/programme planning and review and she emphasises participatory approaches.
Nicola provides a range of services to environmental and development organisations and their donors including:
- Independent mid-term and final evaluations of projects and programmes
- Project and programme design and exit planning
- Capacity needs assessments
- Confirming project compliance with donor policies and standards
- Workshop facilitation
- Training/capacity-building in the above areas
Recent work has included:
- 2010 Capacity Needs Assessment of: Solomon Islands Locally Managed Marine Areas Network. A project of the Foundation of the Peoples of the South Pacific International funded by the Coral Reef Initiatives for the Pacific Programme (CRISP).
- 2010 End-of-project review: Conservation of the Endangered Fiji Flying Fox on Taveuni Island, Fiji. A NatureFiji-MareqetiViti project funded by the Critical Ecosystems Partnership Fund (CEPF), the UNDP-GEF Program of Work on Protected Areas and the Darwin Initiate.
- 2010 End-of-project review: Safeguarding Fiji’s Priority Sites through the Development of a Model Site Support Group. A NatureFiji-MareqetiViti project funded by the Jensen Foundation.
- 2010 Mid-term Evaluation: Forests of Fiji – Creating Permanent Forest Estates for the Benefit of Fiji’s People and Biodiversity. A Birdlife International and NatureFiji-MareqetiViti project funded by the Jensen Foundation.
- 2010 End-of-campaign review: Conservation Awareness Campaign, Taveuni Island, Fiji. NatureFiji-MareqetiViti, Birdlife International and Fiji National Trust project funded by the UNDP-GEF Program of Work on Protected Areas, the Critical Ecosystems Partnership Fund, and the Darwin Initiative.
- 2009 End-of-project review: Endangered Fijian Wildlife – a resource for students, NGOs and schools. A project of NatureFiji-MareqetiViti project funded by the British High Commission.
- 2008 Exit Plan for: UNFCCC in the Asia Pacific Region – Ensuring Participation and Implementation: Cook Islands Component. WWF International Project funded by the European Commission.
- 2008 End-of-project review: UNFCCC in the Asia Pacific Region – Ensuring Participation and Implementation (Fiji, Cook Islands, Nepal, Indonesia). WWF International Project funded by the European Commission.
- 2008 Interim Evaluation: Melanesian Sustainable Livelihoods Program (PNG and Solomon Islands). A WWF South Pacific Programme project funded by the AusAID-NGO Cooperation Program
- 2007 Mid-term evaluation of WWF-Australia International Fund (WAIF) a fund to address critical conservation needs in the Asia Pacific. Programme encompasses work to conserve the TransFly Region (PNG); The Pacific Whales Sanctuary (Fiji-lead); and South Pacific Marine Turtles Conservation work (Fiji-lead). A programme run and funded by WWF-Australia.