Dick Watling, ECF’s Principal is an internationally recognised authority on Fiji’s terrestrial wildlife and ECF has a long record of formally and informally providing advisory services in biodiversity conservation including: specialist studies to inform conservation planning, advice on conservation methodologies and the preparation of management plans for species and protected areas.
NatureFiji-MareqetiViti, Fiji’s sole local biodiversity conservation organisation originated in the office of ECF in 2007, and ECF has been a strong supporter of it ever since.
Protected area development and management in Fiji progresses slowly with limited Government resources and institutional development. ECF have been involved, at one time or another, in most of the important terrestrial conservation initiatives in Fiji.
In addition to fauna and flora surveys carried out for the EIAs it has undertaken, past work carried out by ECF in this area includes:
- 2013 Mangrove Management Plan for Fiji – 2013, for the Mangrove Management Committee
- 2012 Species Recovery Plan for the critically endangered Red-throated Lorikeet Charmosyna amabilis (for NFMV)
- 2012 Terrestrial vertebrate fauna of the Udu Prospect of Matai Holdings
- 2011 Surveys for the critically endangered Red-throated Lorikeet Charmosyna amabilis (for NFMV)
- 2011 Avifauna of the Wainavadu and Waisoi catchments for Institute of Applied Sciences, University of the South Pacific
- 2010 Fiji Sago Palm Metroxylon vitiense- Species Recovery Plan (for NFMV)
- 2010 Species Recovery Plan for the critically endangered Fiji Flying Fox Mirimiri acrodonta (for NFMV)
- 2007-2014 (ongoing) Conservation of the Fiji Petrel – project management for NFMV
- 2007 Management Plan for the Sovi Basin Protected Area
- 2006 Ecological Monitoring – Vatuira Island following rat removal
- 2006 Management Plans for the Ravilevu and Tomaniivi Nature Reserves for the Forestry Department
- 2006 Report on the Fiji Shark capture industry and by-catch issues
- 2003 Recovery Plan for the critically endangered Fiji Petrel Pseudobulweria macgillivrayi
- 2003 Survey for megapodes, Megapodius pritchardii on Late and Fonualei, Tonga
- 2002 Faunal baseline survey of Waivaka prospect of Nittetsu Mining Co. Ltd., Namosi
- 2002-3 Surveys for Pink-billed Parrot finches – endangered endemic species of Viti Levu
- 2002 Baseline survey of Taula Island in preparation for rat eradication, Vava’u, Tonga
- 2001 Baseline survey of Maninita I., Vava’u, Tonga, proposed wildlife reserve and tourism attraction
- 2000 Advice to Tourism Resource Consultants on Park Values, Interpretive Requirements and Guide Training for both Koroyanitu and Bouma National Heritage Parks.
- 1992 Preparation of a management plan and action strategy for the Crested Iguana and Yadua Island Reserve.
- 1991 Bouma Forest Park, Taveuni. Management Plan for a landowner initiated and managed forest conservation project.
- 1991 Management of the seabirds nesting on Vunivadra Island, Nadi Bay.
- 1989 Master Plan for the development of the Tavuni Hill Fort Archaeological Site as a landowner managed and operated tourist attraction.
- 1989 Management Plan for the Garrick Memorial Reserve, Navua, Viti Levu.
- 1984 Vaturu Dam Catchment – Conservation and Development Plan
- 1987 Survey of historic and archaeological sites to examine potential for tourism and preservation; Tourism Council of the South Pacific
- 1987 Mangrove – State of the Resource Report for Fiji; UNDP/UNESCO.
- 1985 Preparation of the Mangrove Management Plan for Fiji, Phases I & II; SPC