ECF have been active in planning and assessment issues of Fiji’s natural and plantation forests, mangroves, and forest industries. Dick Watling, ECF’s Principal, is a Lead Assessor for Forest Certification with SmartWood – an accredited Certifier by the Forest Stewardship Council.
Past work carried out by ECF in this area includes:
- 2013 Review of Fiji’s R-PP document for the UN-REDD programme. Commissioned by World Bank’s Forest Carbon Partnership Facility (FCPF).
- 2013 ‘Mangrove Management Plan for Fiji – 2013 for Fiji’, prepared for the Mangrove Management Committee.
- 2013 ECF’s Dick Watling participated in an FAO-AusAid commissioned review of the Papua New Guinea ‘Code of Logging Practice’.
- 2013 Forest Certification Assessment – Fiji Pine Ltd. (Forest Stewardship Council)
- 2006-2010 ECF’s Dick Watling – Preparation of National Certification Standards – Steering Committee Member
- 2005 Inspection of logging in the Raralevu Concession, Monasavu for Ministry of Forests
- 2004 Forest Certification Assessment – Fiji Hardwoods Corporation Ltd. (Forest Stewardship Council)
- 2003 Scoping Certification of Fiji Hardwoods Corporation Ltd. plantations, (Forest Stewardship Council).
- 2003 Inspection and reporting on illegal logging at Drawa, Vanua Levu
- 2003 Review – Draft Niue Code of Logging Practice
- 2003 Facilitator – National Forest Certification Workshop, Apia, Samoa
- 2002 Facilitator – Regional Forest Certification Workshop, Nadi
- 2001 Forest Certification Course – trainer for a SmartWood course commissioned by GTZ Regional Forestry Programme.
- 1996 Environmental Review – Fiji Pine, Vanua Levu Feasibility Study
- 1993/4 Forest Functions – identification and mapping. The assignment involved the development of an appropriate forest function classification using FORGIS, the GIS (Arc-DBase, ERDAS) of the National Natural Forest Inventory.
- 1992 Review of Fiji’s Hardwood Plantation programme; NZODA
- 1988 Fiji Forestry Sector Study; FAO.
- 1987 EIA of the Navutulevu Timber Concession, Navua; FAO